Intelligent Immigration Reform
“… if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else … predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.” – Teddy Roosevelt (1907)
Stop The Leaks. Enforce The Law. Reward Legal Immigration
UpWithAmerica believes that the only fair and equitable solution to illegal immigration is found in the term itself: Illegal. With the decency that is so inherent to our American way of life, we must insist we honor the millions of hard-working legal immigrants that forged this nation by requiring that illegal immigrants become legal or return to their homeland. We must insist that employers who continue to hire illegal immigrants and build this underground economy cease doing so or pay fines that will render such illegal practices too expensive to continue.
America is first and foremost a nation of laws, not men. As a result, and in spite of reasonable but unlawful market-driven opinions, illegal immigrants are just that, illegal. Anything short of requiring the same compliance with our laws that have been observed and obeyed by tens of millions of legal immigrants who made America the world’s great melting pot is simply unacceptable. Should we be patient and decent in forcing illegals to accept the responsibility and then the rights of American citizens? Absolutely. Should we look the other way, accept corporate greed or hide behind arguments that “America citizens won’t do the jobs that illegals are doing?” Absolutely not! While it is true that our strength lies in our diversity, but it is the assimilation of these diverse peoples into one nation that creates that strength. The bottom line is that everything begins AFTER we stop incoming illegals.
It makes no sense at all to come up with “a path to citizenship” before battening down the hatches and plugging all the holes. In that regard, the Chinese have us beat by several thousand years! So build the wall – of brick and mortar and modern technology and stop the inflow of illegals, and THEN, working with the finest of them, sort out the problem and create a new path to citizenship that does NOT affect those that have followed the rules all along. Giving anything more than this is a major a front to the tens of millions of Americans who found their way here the RIGHT way!
We also believe that reform of our so-called “Birthright Law” is long overdue. For those of you who may not be familiar with it, our Birthright Law grants full citizenship to the unborn children of foreign nationals – a law which encourages them to find any way possible to cross our border to deliver their newborn. Found in the US Code (Section 1401), the law states that “a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth.” We need legislation today that prevents children of illegal immigrants from receiving what amounts to illegal citizenship – and puts to an end one of the strongest reasons why so many foreign nationals are so willing to risk all to deliver their babies here to receive all the rights and privileges granted to real citizens – included the right to the pursuit of happiness and the jobs that go with it!
LA LAW: Statistics About Illegal Immigrants (as reported by the Los Angeles Times)
- 40% of all workers in L. A. County (L. A. County has 10 million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants, working without a green card.
- 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal immigrants.
- 75% on the Most Wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal immigrants.
- Over 2/3’s of all births in LA County are to illegal immigrants … paid for by taxpayers through the state’s Medi-Cal program.
- Nearly 25% of all inmates in California detention centers are illegal immigrants.
- Over 300,000 illegal immigrants in Los Angeles County are living in garages.
- 50% of all gang members in Los Angeles are illegal immigrants (FBI statistics).
- Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal immigrants.
- 21 radio stations in L. A. are Spanish speaking.
- 5.1 million LA residents speak English, but 3.9 million speak Spanish
On a National Scale
- Less than 2% of illegal immigrants are picking our crops but 29% are on welfare.
- Over 70% of the United States annual population growth results from immigration.
- $70 BILLION … the cost of immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 [Professor Donald Huddle, Rice University].
- 29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.